Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Congrats to the Spurs! TV Ratings, Sideline Reporters


The San Antonio Spurs were crowned NBA champs on Thursday night. Read Coach Finamore's blog about San Antonio stuff. It's in the Basketball Links on the right side. He hits the nail right square on the head when talking about the Spurs. This truly is an amazing team to watch.


Because TV ratings are down, ABC/ESPN seemed to always try to find a way to bring in the audiences. This year it was Eva Longoria. How many times did they film her just cheering?! Or when at the end Tony Parker and Longoria ran, hugged, and kissed!! It's like they were trying to make as much drama as they possibly could. No use getting all the other players' emotions, we have to get this shot of when Parker and Longoria kiss! I know, I know, there are plenty of guys who like seeing her, but honestly the only people watching at this point were pure basketball people, not the moms and wives longing to see if Eva and Tony would kiss. I love the Dan Patrick Radio show, but you can't ask a guy if he's nervous about his wedding on national TV? And another thing about the sideline reporters, they need to come up with another question beyond, "What are you feeling at this moment?" I mean how do you think he feels. He just won a championship! I don't think he feels down, or cheated, or depressed, or sad. I can answer that question simply as, "They all feel elated, or wonderful, or happy, or the perfect words are ' Michelle, there are no words to descibe it!'" I just think that everyone already knows how they are feeling, so there shouldn't be an interview. But if the player turns it down then the Media gets mad because you didn't answer their question and then Dan Patrick talks about you on his show. While I am on this topic of Sideline reporters, I think we can go away from talking to the coaches who are behind in the score at halftime as they are running away to the locker room. It usually goes something like this:


Sideline Reporter: "Coach, your defense gave up 20 fast break points in the first half.

What are you going to do get your team back in it?"


Coach: "Well, we need to get back on defense in a more timely manner in order to stop the break, we'll see how we come out in the second half.


What the Coach was thinking: "Well, we need to get back on defense a whole lot faster or we're running suicedes tomorrow, who is this lady, maybe jam the rebounder a little bit, to stop the outlet pass, I love running and talking at the same time, and hit some more baskets so they actually have to take it out of bounds to start their break, why is this lady talking to me, I have to sacrifice some of my offensive players to get my defensive stopper in the game, I am out of breath, water please, Talk to my assistant next time would ya"


I just don't see any point in the whole "talk to the coach as he's running to the locker room" interview. Maybe you have a different point of view, post a comment, but the questions are so vague and the coach gives vague answers because he actually has a team to coach and get ready for the second half. I think they should just not have the sideline reporters. But I guess, those brain stimulating questions that they ask, stir the mind of casual fans, so I guess there is a part for them but I just don't like them. They just ask questions that are rhetorical and anyone who is watching the game could probably answer them anyway.


Leave comment or email!


Have a great weekend!


2 comments:

Coach said...

Coach,

Great stuff. Great insight into sideline reporting; that needs to be eliminated. I see no value. Which reminds me of a situation I witnessed early in the year. Ohio State was playing and Erin Andrews asked Thad Matta what he was going to do different in the second half?

TM's response, 'I can't tell ya..."

It was classic.

Anonymous said...

It just doesn't make sense. Thanks for the comment and the read. I would have loved to seen Matta's face or better yet the reporter's.