Pages

Friday, June 29, 2007

Birthday

Last week was my birthday and I received a card from my parents that simply states.

"Don't think of it as another birthday. Think of it as the anniversary of the day the world was graced with your presence!"

I just thought it was just a simple card, but I got to thinking about how many people I come in contact in one day, and how many lives that can be changed by saying just one word to a person. I think of a story in one of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books about how this kid carried the books of a fellow student all the way home. The owner of the books was the typical "nobody" in school, you know the kid that gets picked last in the pick-up game at recess, the nerd, geek, smelly kid, bad home life kid, you know there is always one of them in every class. The kid that carried the books home was the well-liked kid, friend of everyone, straight-A kid. A while after this happened, the geek wrote a letter to the straight-A kid that said that night he was going to kill himself, but because he helped him, talked to him on the way home, and just showed interest in him, he chose not to take his life.

All because someone carried his books!

I think of all the times that I could have done something for someone and didn't. It's like there isn't an I almost did help. You either do it or you don't.

I am going to take the time to help the next person I can because I have no idea the impact I can have on someone, just by giving someone your attention.

Books I got from my parents for my birthday:
Every Man, God's Man - by Stephen Arterburn and Kenny Luck
Quiet Strength - Tony Dungy

I can't wait to read these and I will probably share them.

I will try to update with a little blurb from each chapter!
Have a Great Weekend!
DSD

No comments: