Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Southport Semi-state Games

Today, I attended the Southport Semi-state games. It pitted the 1A teams of Loogootee and Edinburgh against each other and Park Tudor and Providence faced off in 2A action. Both games didn't disappoint as both were close until the 4th quarters. Loogootee pulled out a win in the first game. I will go out on a limb and say that the Edinburgh team was a lot more talented than Loogootee. Loogootee went on a run in the 4th where they hit two treys in under 10 seconds and that put them up for good.
In the second game, Park Tudor and Providence kept in close as this was a game of runs. I kept thinking that PT was going to pull away, but Providence would always go on a run and come right back. I was really impressed with future Hoosier, Yogi Ferrell. Here's a couple of pics from the game. The Southport Fieldhouse seats 7,124 and it was packed.  (please excuse my crummy camera phone.)



I was also impressed with Park Tudor's 2-3 zone and their talking and communication. They didn't sit back passively. They were really active with their hands and feet. I did think when they extended their 2-3 to half-court it helped and hurt them. They got some steals, but they also gave up a lot of easy bucket layups.
One other thing that I picked up on was Park Tudor's flex offense variation that I really think opens up the middle more than then traditional flex cuts. I felt that their variation allowed more time for the ballside post player to get position and operate. I've drawn up a little diagram that shows their pattern. The State Finals are set for Banker's Life Fieldhouse in downtown Indy. Good Luck to the teams.


No comments: