Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2008

End of Season for Colts

As I was watching the Colts-Chargers game today, I felt the usual feeling that I normally have about all Colts games; Never think that they cannot pull something together and wind up with a win. I don't ever think the Colts are out of any game. I have seen Manning lead comeback after comeback for years and I think when you see it over and over, there is no thought that the Colts are going to lose. When that game was over, I just sat there waiting for another quarter for the Colts to come back and win. I just sat there stunned...waiting...wanting for the clock to say 5th Quarter. But no, it's over. A season filled with injuries in which the Colts still pulled through in many situations. They fell to the Pats, which is understandable, but led by 10 with like 4 minutes to go. Then the next week fell to the Chargers without around 9 starters and came up just short as Vinatieri missed a field goal. The Colts' arguably best defensive player Dwight Freeney was injured and placed on IR for the rest of the season. And if there ever was a game when Dwight's presence would have been needed it was this one. I can't remember one hand being laid on Philip Rivers, or Billy Volek for that matter, the entire game. Speaking of Volek, I was impressed with what he did in the 4th Quarter. He stepped right in for whatever injury Rivers seemed to have. I saw him run onto the field after returning from the locker room and he wasn't having a very tough time running/jogging, then he never put back on his helmet. Another mention of Rivers has to be the notion that he was expelling a lot of energy jawing with the Indianapolis during his exit to the locker room and as the game was coming to an end. The way that he led the Chargers was very Manning/Brady-like and I have gained a lot of respect for him this year for his on-field performances, but the way that he was yelling at the fans while going to the locker room to get his leg checked out was just classless. I am glad that CBS focused on him when the game was coming to an end and he was turned around and "taunting" the Colts' fans. To me that speaks more than anything. I don't care that the Chargers won, but I do care that their leader is more privy to yelling at the Colts' fans than maybe congratulating Volek, who led finished the game and pulled out a win. There have been many instances this year when Rivers and Tomlinson have had spats on the sidelines and if this is how the second/third face (L.T. and Gates) of the Chargers is going to play the game, then if I was Norv Turner, I would definitely look at playing Volek. Enough on that. The Colts' defense gave up a lot of yards and the offense looked out of sync, the running game was pretty much nonexistent, Addai and Sanders got injured but came back, Harrison wasn't Harrison, there wasn't the "fly to the ball" and drill somebody attitude from the Colts defense, and there definitely wasn't the BIG HIT that you seem to get every game from the Colts, (last week was Darrell Reid on special teams). Add all these things up and the Colts just didn't play a good game. Plain and simple. They just didn't do what they do best. It's just sad that it happened when it did. Great job Colts on another AFC South banner and posting the second best record in the AFC. Congrats to Coach Dungy for 6 straight playoff appearances! I don't know if he'll be back, I hope so, but if he is ready to walk away, then that's his decision. Congrats Colts to a great year!

No comments: