Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

College Coaching Carousel

At this time of the year, there is always a buzz about the coaching changes and who is leaving and who is going to replace the leaver. Here locally, Butler coach, Todd Lickliter, resigned and took the vacant job the former Hoosier, Steve Alford, left for New Mexico. I find both of these moves very intriguing. Alford has been under a lot of scrutiny in Iowa and to me it seemed that he just wanted to get away and start over. I don't blame him. He didn't get the Indiana recruits that most figured he would get. But honestly, why would anyone want to go to Iowa to play basketball anyway? The Alford move gave way for Lickliter who has had two Sweet Sixteen appearances at a mid-major university in the past 4 years. I think that says a lot but I don't understand the move. Why go to a school who has been in the bottom of the Big Ten for a while and Steve Alford couldn't even get good players to go there. I would think that a job in the Horizon League would be a whole lot better. I was also shocked about the Lickliter hire because Lickliter's son is still in high school here in Indy and I am pretty sure he has at least one more year left. I would have thought that he would stay until he graduated.

These are just my thoughts and wonder if anyone has some comments on them.

No comments: