Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

Medora Basketball

Here's an article in the NY Times featuring a very small high school in Indiana called Medora and their coach, Marty Young and basketball team. Sometimes as coaches we have to deal with things that are out of our control. We have to be the positive light that players and students come to. Yes, it might not be welcomed by some, but we are here to make a difference in the lives of whoever we come in contact with as teachers and coaches. Coach Young and his squad didn't win a game last year, he's committed to the program and to making a difference. He's having to deal with issues of poverty and drugs in the small community. When some of the factories left town and the feed mills closed in the late '80s and '90s the town went down hill.

“If they’re in the gym these two hours, then I know they’re not in trouble,”
Young said.

Young and other coaches provide for the students meals and clothing when needed.

When asked about why the players keep playing if all they ever do is lose and this is the reply from one of the players.

“I have friends who say, ‘Why do this? They keep losing,’ ” said the
sophomore Glen England, excused from one practice last season to feed his
chickens. “I say I grew up playing basketball, all the way from kindergarten to
high school. I’m going to finish it out.”

Finding positives in the daily lives of people is an ongoing thing. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing enough, and then I read articles on what Coach Marty Young is doing and then I know the answer.

No comments: